Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Pinterest Experiment

The dessert that we had last week for Father's Day is called
Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding
Here is the link





I thought that the Vanilla Wafers really added to the recipe. And that's about it. The thing that was really upsetting about this recipe is that it had such great potential. There was Vanilla Wafers, there was cream cheese, there was even sweetened condensed milk for crying out loud. With those ingredients it should have been way better than it was. Also, and this is just a personal preference, we like the flavor of the banana cream- just not with the bananas. Weird, I know. Maybe the reason why I didn't really like it was because  we never made pies or pudding desserts by using the actual box pudding. We did it the old fashioned way, which in my opinion tastes much better. 

So I would rate this at a 4.
Glad we tried it but won't ever have it again.


P.S.
This is my Grandma's recipe for the cream that you use in any kind of cream dessert/pie.
I grew up with this recipe and we all think it is delicious.
It takes a little longer than your box pudding would but is worth trying.
Lastly, if you do try it, make sure you get that cornstarch mixed in good!

2 eggs
2 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 rounded T cornstarch
A few grains salt
1 t vanilla

Combine milk, sugar, salt  and heat. Separate eggs. Beat yolks slightly and add water and cornstarch. If using pineapple, use pineapple juice. When milk is boiling add egg mixture quickly all at once. Turn off heat immediately; do not stir excessively. Add vanilla. Let cool. If making banana cream something, add bananas when cool.




No comments: