Monday, June 4, 2012

Our Life in P-Town ** Day 28

Day 28 was Memorial Day. 

Looking back, this was never my favorite day. We would always drive up to Idaho as a family and spend hours of the day driving from cemetery to cemetery looking at different graves and talking to talking to people. Most of whom, I didn't even know. Now, I am not in any way trying to sound disrespectful or even ungrateful. I love the people whose graves we visited, it just made for a long and boring day. 

Flash forward to four and a half years ago. My five year old nephew was killed in a tragic accident. It was sudden, unexpected and at times, completely overwhelming. And really, for the first time in my life, I had the option of going to visit a grave with a whole new mindset. This person was young, we did not expect the death and I knew this person for their ENTIRE life. 




Because of this, my perspective of Memorial Day has completely changed. I am now going with my family, my parents and brothers and sisters. I am going because I want to. And the experience was good. We have a good time talking, laughing and remembering. My mom cut some of her favorite flowers to put on the grave. After seeing this, McKayla also wanted to go into Grandma's backyard to pick some flowers to cut too. It was sweet. It was a good time to talk to McKayla about her cousin, and how he is now living with Jesus. Times like this make me really grateful for my knowledge of the gospel. 
















No comments: